Gallery 1C03 now hiring part-time gallery attendants! If you know someone who might be interested, please forward this information along. Applicants must be full-time high school or University of Winnipeg students. Application deadline is September 8, 2015.
Application deadline: Tuesday, September 8, 2015
Start date: As soon as possible
Rate of pay: $10.97 - $12.25 per hour, variable hours
- Opens/closes Gallery 1C03 (The University of Winnipeg’s campus art gallery) at the beginning/end of the day by turning on/shutting off all Gallery lights; plugging in/unplugging, turning on/turning off, starting up/shutting down equipment; opening/closing doors; ensuring that Security Services unlock/lock doors and de-arm/re-arm the Gallery’s alarm system.
- Safety/security of Gallery 1C03 exhibits - ensures that artworks exhibited in Gallery 1C03 are not subject to theft or mishandling by the public during hours of operation.
- Public relations - greets visitors to Gallery 1C03 and answers any questions that visitors have about the art exhibits to the best of their ability; refers visitors to Gallery 1C03’s Director/Curator in situations where they are unable to provide assistance.
- Attendance record - maintains a count of the number of visitors to Gallery 1C03.
- Alerts Gallery 1C03 Director/Curator of any problems within the Gallery environment; these can relate to temperature, humidity and lighting issues or concerns for the safety of the artwork or visitors.
- When applicable, takes readings of environmental conditions in Gallery 1C03 using a hand-held environmental monitor or a data logger.
- When applicable, handles sales of art exhibition catalogues; this includes maintaining a count of funds in cash box and a count of catalogues at the beginning and end of each shift and returns all cash to Gallery 1C03 Director/Curator for processing.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Must be a full-time student at a high school or The University of Winnipeg, preferably an art history/cultural studies major or related disciplines, or with an interest in the visual arts.
- Some knowledge of contemporary visual art would be an asset.
- On the job training provided.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, procedures and regulations.
- May require the ability to maintain records and handle cash on occasion.
- Ability to communicate effectively with visitors who may be students, faculty, staff and the general public.
- Ability to work day, evening and/or weekend shifts.
- Capable of performing duties as assigned.